Sunday, July 6, 2008

Thing #22 - Nings

I thought Nings were interesting and very similar to other "things" we have looked at like wikis. I think they are a great way for people to be able to communicate with others both professionally and personally. I can see myself using a Ning as a way to talk to other teachers about various educational topics, getting ideas for lessons, and generally talking to others who understand what a teacher goes through on a daily basis during the school year. I think older students could also benefit from using a Ning to discuss group projects, ask each other questions on things they don't understand, and generally establishing a group of people to talk to who share their hobbies and interests.

I liked looking at the Librarian Nings and reading a few of the entries about what they see as the future of libraries and their uses. Of course, I related a bit better to the Ning for Teachers because they were discussing curriculum, parent involvement issues, etc., that are very relevant to my daily school year life. It's great to be able to communicate with others who "get me" and understand the educational issues we, teachers and librarians, face with trying to improve the learning of our students.

No comments: