Sunday, June 22, 2008

Thing #7 - Cool Google Tools

Ok, we have got to put a stop to this madness (and I'm not even half way through)! Yet another group of very cool items for which I will need to find extra hours to play with... I mean study!

I really like Google Earth and I'm sure that we can use it in our map/geography studies in class. I think the kids will really be able to get a much better understanding of how maps are translated into symbols. Students will also be able to "visit" places to which they may never actually travel.

Google Notebook and Google Docs could really come in handy for student and teacher use. I can see the kids using both to gather research data and putting together presentations. I also believe teachers could find both of these tools useful for communicating with each other during summer break for planning and building units of study.

I set up a Google Alert, but quickly discovered that I will need to try to figure out how to be more specific in what I want to be alerted to because my request seemed to generate a lot of items that did not provide information I was seeking. I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

I can't wait to try the calendar out because it looks really useful and versatile. I like that so many of the items have a "tutorial" to show you about it before you actually try it out.

3 comments:

Terry said...

This is the thing that took me forever! But the Google docs is good to know about. I set up a Google Alert for my brother so i only get on every month or 6 weeks - it's an interesting way to keep up with his music playing. I also used igoogle when I was in Austin using Andy's computer but wanted my own links that he didn't have handy. anyway, I hope you are enjoying playing!

Ms. P. said...

th,

I'm learning a lot and having a good time. It's way more than I will ever be able to remember, but I'm taking notes too. I'm sure I'll be asking many questions and I know I haven't even thought of half of the applications for these "Things" in regard to classroom uses.

Terry said...

I wish a few more TWEers had gotten on board so we could bounce ideas off of each other!