Saturday, June 28, 2008

Thing #12 - Creating Community Through Commenting


I'm having a hard time narrowing down which two points I think are important when it comes to commenting on someone else's blog; they're all important. I guess the one that was most meaningful to me was "Don't be afraid to comment". I think that I fall into the "Lurker" category. I worried, and still do worry, that what I have to say to someone else might be regarded negatively for whatever reason. So, this was good for me to "force" me to make comments and realize that it was ok to say what I wanted to say. The second one that I thought was important was to be respectful when commenting, even if you are disagreeing with what someone else is saying. I dread my first encounter with DC. We, adults and children alike, already face so many situations with negative/disrespectful people that it is really important to point out that you should treat others with kindness and respect always, whether in the "real world" or "cyberspace".


Making comments on the blogs of people who are currently involved with "23 Things" was a lot easier than commenting on outside blogs. I could relate to many of my fellow players regarding their celebrations/frustrations, but found it harder to comment on the others. I chose blogs about animals because I really enjoy animals, especially dogs. I thought it would make it easier, but discovered that I still have a long way to go before I'm comfortable being a "Commenter" instead of a "Lurker". I'm sure I'll get better with more experience as my comfort level grows.

No comments: