Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tool #7 - Digital Storytelling

I enjoyed creating my Photostory project. Most of my time was spent trying to find pictures that met my requirements. Students enjoy using Photostory, but need more readily accessible places to get pictures without worrying about copyright infringement. I work with students to help them understand the importance of citing sources and will continue to do so with picture gathering as well. I have had support with this process from our librarian with the lessons she presents to the class. I know we will get better with more practice.

Photostory would be a great way for students to tell stories about themselves or something that they are learning. I prefer to have them draw their own pictures, either by hand or electronically, to include in Photostory projects.

I could not get my video to load when I saved it as a wmv...I waited over an hour, but I resaved it as a mpeg and that worked.


5 comments:

WilliamsK said...

You created a great photostory! I think that the kids would really enjoy this as another way to create stories about themselves. It would help them remain engaged throughout the process.

Ms. P. said...

Thanks for the comment! I hope that the kids will be able to make similar videos themselves this coming year.

Thornwood Library said...

You're right about the need to educate students on the issue of copyright infringements. The temptation to rely on Google Images is strong, but we've got to work together to break them of that habit. There are lots of great websites out there that have copyright-free images available. I'll keep plugging away at this next year. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Millie

apoffenberger said...

Your photostory is adorable (to the point,easy to understand diagram, cute pictures, and "down on the farm' music). I appreciate your comment (and Millie's) about using pictures from sites other than Google.

Ms. P. said...

I'm glad you liked the Photostory. I enjoyed making it and I know the kids will like making them when they understand the process and the creativity involved.