Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tool #6 - Wikis

I think wikis are another way to promote collaboration and organization. They are a chance for students to work together and add to their knowledge as they learn. I would like to try using one for my students to create K-W-L charts. Since a wiki is easily changed, we would be able to add new questions and items learned as we went through our units of study...if a student thought of a question or discovered a new piece of information after the school day was over he/she would be able to add it and then the class could talk about it during class time the following day. I would also want to keep a paper one up in the classroom where it was easily seen on a daily basis.

I think it would also be great to set up comparison charts on a wiki for writing or t-charts of wants vs. needs in Social Studies. Students could also keep a wiki as their journal for research projects. I think the possibilities for use are endless and are easily adaptable for every grade level and teacher.

No comments: