Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tool #11 - Digital Citizenship

I think the 3 most important things for students to understand about digital citizenship are:
-Safety
-Responsibility
-Critical Thinking

Safety is of ultimate importance. Students need to know how to keep themselves safe when using technology. I think I need to make sure we focus on not sharing personal information, viewing/using appropriate sites/apps, and monitoring appropriate use of devices.

Responsibility is another important part of digital citizenship. Students need to understand that their words and actions have consequences on line just as they do in day-to-day situations. Just as I work with my kids in class on treating others with kindness and respect I will need to make sure that continues in regard to on line citizenship as well.

Finally, critical thinking is of paramount importance. Students need to make sure they approach all digital citizenship interactions with thought. They will need to evaluate what they do, say and where/how they use resources. Evaluation of the validity of information and how to handle that information will necessitate students thinking more thoroughly or learning the consequences for not doing so.

It is part of my job to help students find their way through the digital community and supply support for them. It will take a partnership between students, teachers and parents for digital experiences to be as successful as possible.

While going through the links provided on the "11 Tools" blog, I think one of the best resources for helping students understand digital citizenship would be Cyberethics for Kids . This site gives good information in language kids can understand. I like the quiz that gives the students a chance to talk about making decisions and what can happen as a result of good choices or poor choices. I would need to make sure that the ideas behind good digital citizenship are something we discuss over and over so the importance becomes solidly ingrained in the students' minds.

3 comments:

Mario said...

Selma, the section on "critical thinking" was very well articulated!

Ms. P. said...

Thanks for the support. I'm looking forward to collaborating with you and your class this year on some of these tools.

Kaycee Borders said...

Lol! I definitely know I'm in good hands at Thornwood. I have been trying to retrace my steps for quite a while this evening looking for this ethics page I saw for kids. It was so kid friendly, and touched on so many important aspects of digital citizenship. But because I didn't bookmark the page immediately, I lost my place. Well, technically the power shut off for a few seconds and I lost it. So anyways, I got back on to retrace my steps and I still could not find it. So I decided to read and comment on other's blogs. I came to yours first...AND there it was under Tool #11. Cyberethics for kids! I definitely plan to share this with my kiddos. Thanks so much! :-)