Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tool #10 - Exploring Mobile Technology And Apps

One of the free apps I looked at was Level . It has a bubble level, inch ruler, and centimeter ruler. I could easily see the kids using this in class for linear measurement exploration lessons. The second free app I reviewed was USA Factbook. It includes state information and maps. This app would help the kids in Social Studies for state review and for research projects. Both of these would be useful to students in class.

I also took a little bit of time and looked at some of the pay apps that were available for education. I liked PopMath which was an app that gives equations and answers separately on balloons. Players have to touch the equation and then touch the correct answer to "pop" the balloons. It asks multiple questions at the same time and I think kids would enjoy this fun way to practice facts. The second pay app I looked at was WordSalad. This app has players make words from a field of tiles and players try to use all of the tiles to score more points. Seems like a great way for kids to practice spelling.

I had the opportunity to spend a little bit of time using an iTouch last year under our librarian's direction when she set up a play time... I mean an educational review time... for staff members to come by and check out the new tech items the students were going to be able to use when classes came to the library. I enjoyed the little bit of time I had with the iTouch and have no doubt that there are going to be many ways to use the equipment in class. However, a lot will depend on the apps that are made available for the students to use which will be a determining factor in the amount/quality of learning we get with the devices.

2 comments:

Thornwood Library said...

I am learning about so many ways to integrate iTouches into our curriculum. We'll be exploring them in our library lessons next year, so stay tuned!!

p.s. You sure are making great progress on your 11 Tools. I have a feeling you are going to be our first Thornwood graduate. Keep up the good work!

Millie

Ms. P. said...

Thanks for the support! I'm enjoying the lessons for the most part and am willing to forge ahead with the stuff that I'm still not completely comfortable with yet. I think it will become easier with the more practice the students and I get. :)