Monday, June 21, 2010

Tool #2 - A PLN and Commenting

I think establishing many Personal Learning Networks is a great idea. Most teachers already know that we learn more from each other when we have the chance to talk with each other and share ideas. A PLN can be helpful with so many other "minds" thinking, sharing and analyzing whatever topic is being discussed. I know that I really like having the chance to hear other ideas and viewpoints. I'm sure that my students would really benefit from various PLN communities too.

However, when you are part of a PLN or participating in someone's blog along with commenting comes the responsibility to treat others with respect and realize that everyone has his or her own opinion to which they are entitled. No one has the right to belittle someone else simply because they have a differing viewpoint which is what I believe Cool Cat Teacher is trying to get across (especially with her 'Darth Commenter' section). I also agree with her that you have to "teach commenting". I'm sure the kids will love giving and receiving comments, but they also need to understand that responsibility is a big part of commenting.

Five "11 Tools" blogs that I have decided to follow and comment on are:
Teaching is My Passion
Foster's Findings
The Tech-Teacher Experiment
Thornwood Tigers
SuperThorn3

3 comments:

Clarisbela said...

Hi Selma!

I agree with you when you talk about teaching kids to comment. I'm learning that myself :)

It would be interesting to see how much the students would share with the blogs, especially the ones who prefer writing, instead of talking.

Ms. P. said...

Thanks for your comment. :)

I think it will take some practice for the kids to really loosen up and provide thoughtful comments that add to the "conversations" on the blog they're reading. However, I think they will catch on and it will add a great deal to their critical thinking skills.

cj said...

hi selma
enjoyed your blog.. i agree with you about teaching kids to comment.
this may also be a great way for 2nd graders to become interested in writing and hearing their own voice.